St Arvans Church
Set in the heart of the village, the church is dedicated to St Arvan who, legend has it, was a ninth century hermit feeding himself by coracle fishing for salmon in the river Wye. Please click on the link above to go to the church web site.
The origins of the Church are Celtic, probably dating back to the ninth century, as indicated by the original circular nature of the churchyard.
The distinctive octagonal tower was the gift of Nathaniel Wells, of Piercefield Park. Wells himself was churchwarden here and was remarkable in that his mother was a Negro slave on the family’s plantations in St Kitts. He was Britain’s first black High Sheriff when he was appointed to that post in Monmouthshire by the Prince Regent, and a Deputy Lieutenant of the County.
There is a single bell cast in 1751 at the Chepstow Bell Foundry by William Evans (1710–1767).
There are 4 parishes under the benefice of St Arvans
Please click on the links above to see information about the other villages/churches
Recent Fund Raising Events
It was a full house in the Memorial Hall in November 2016 for a demonstration of Christmas flower arrangements by Kay from deacons in Chepstow. She very generously donated all the arrangements to the raffle and all proceeds went to church funds