>> Local Information
Geo Cache Locations
St Arvans is a geo-cache village. There is hidden treasure to be found by treasure hunters of all ages. Find out how you can join in this fascinating outdoor game on www.geocachingwales.com
Sports & Playing Fields
The village has two playing fields.
The King George's Playing Field is on Grange Road, just beyond the church on the edge of the village. It commands a lovely view of the surrounding countryside. Well equipped with play equipment, including swings, climbing frames, a slide and a zip wire, it caters for children of all ages.
There is also a playing field adjacent to the Memorial Hall where there is a set of practice rugby posts and a football pitch. It is the home of the very active Garden City Football Club which has junior teams for boys and girls of all ages.
ST. ARVANS VICTORIAN DRINKING FOUNTAIN
In the early 1890's Monmouthshire County Council decided to install drinking fountains throughout the county. Local residents raised an extra £30 to purchase a special fountain which was opened in 1893 by Miss Clay.
Manufactured by The Sun Foundry of Glasgow, and assembled in the Iron Stores in Chepstow, it was erected in the middle of the A466 road at the junction with Devauden Road and served by natural spring water. Later improvements to the main road necessitated moving the fountain to its present position. Drinking water was obtained by pressing taps at the base of the cherubs which delivered water through the urns held by cherubs. There are known to be 2 similar fountains, from the same era and manufacturer, still in existence.
The cherubs and dolphins decorating the base of the St Arvans fountain are identical to those on the central post on this fountain in Durban.
The St Arvans fountain doesn't incorporate a lamp post but has a much larger bowl and a smaller one set into its base where animals can drink.
There is a third fountain in East Linton, Scotland which also incorporates the same cherubs as are seen in the previous ones.
Similarities between the three may be due to the fact that foundries often made items in modular fashion, allowing customers to mix and match to their own designs
St Arvans fountain was designated a grade II listed building on 18 July 1997 and renovated for the new millennium at a total cost of nearly £20,000. Fund raising and additional grants enabled the restoration, and it was until recently a working example of a Victorian fountain; St Arvans Community Council is keen to repair the plumbing fault.